torsdag 25. mars 2010

Welcome

Hello and welcome to the Generation Girl snark blog. So, this is my second snarky blog. I'm literally turning over a new leaf in my life now, and I'm starting with blank sheets. This time my blog will be in English(English isn't my first language, so I'd like to apologize in advance for any spelling or grammar errors)and about the Generation Girl books. A short introduction:

As with my other Wendy blog, I'm going to cover subjects that are extremely narrow, but meant a lot to me through my childhood. I'm going to do some recaps, 1bruce1 style, of the book series written by Melanie Stewart.

The plot of the Generation Girl books is basically the adventures of six very different girls that goes to Manhattan High School(which, by the way, exists in real life, although I have no idea if it's anything like the school described in this book).

I always preferred Chelsie, she had those lovely long auburn curls and a gorgeous personality(at least I thought so then, when I had only read the first two books.)The Kelly doll named Chelsie was also my favorite as a child. Now I prefer Lara, she's the deepest character. If I were a man, you'd probably say I have a thing for creative European brunettes.

Both Lara books are really good. Contains divorce, crushes, being different and other personal issues.
The Chelsie books are also sweet, about parents, boarding schools, journalism and not letting yourself being pushed around.
The Tori books are actually number three. Aunt Tessa is a strong character and the book with the dress code issues actually talks about freedom of speech and double standards, which is a rare topic in children and YA books.
Then Ana, I like to read about her enemy and trainer Clarisse. The ski-trip book is somewhat anticlimactic.
The first Barbie book is sweet, I've read it terribly many times, but I'm not that into her theatre book, as books with a crime mystery as the main story isn't my cup of tea.
Nichelle books are just okay, I'd probably like her as a person if I met her in real life, but uncovering a burial place and trying to help a slacker boy to become student president isn't as interesting as most of the other books.

Generation Girl sparked my first ever fanfiction (written down fanfiction, that is, I've been making up "fanfiction" in my head ever since I could read) when I was eight. I wrote little stories about those girls and their new friends, among, and sometimes interlinked with, my other stories, about teddy bears and dolls and private school girls. The books, dolls and other stuff were quite rare over here. I remember being so disappointed when the bookstore couldn't get more than the first two books. I was also disappointed when this gross brat ruined the hairstyle of my only Generation Girl doll. As I can recall, I had no reason to let her borrow the doll as she was, and still is, an extremely rude person and costantly put me down through my entire childhood. I guess I was a nice, through naive pushover as a kid.

Those books are more mature than the other Barbie books, they were written as short novels with a teen and pre-teen audience. I was around... eight years old when I discovered them and I would say that they're intended to be read by 8-14 year olds. Of course, that doesn't mean they can't be reviewed and enjoyed by an older audience ;) It's been about ten years since these books were printed.

What's annoying with these books are, as with the Wendy and Sweet Valley series, are that they're very unrealistic and full of stereotypes. Of course the Mexican girl has a big, kindhearted family that's short on money. Of course the British girl is daughter of two stuffy diplomats... and so on. The books are still very loveable, though.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar